Sml Shield

Trusted by over 400,000 with their insurance needs

Sml Star

Our service is rated ‘Excellent’ on Feefo

Sml Agent (1)

Over 2000 insurance specialists ready to support you

Cafe Insurance

Tailored insurance for your café

  • Business interruption cover to protect your business should your trading be impacted after a bad fire or flood.
  • Take away and food and sandwiches can be covered
  • UK-based support
A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Women in headscarves sitting at a table enjoying sharing plates
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4310 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose café insurance with Towergate?


Stock deterioration cover

Cover for deterioration of stock


Public Liability for accidents to customers in your café

Protects you for allegations of accidental slips and trips on spilt liquids not cleaned up by you!


Dedicated café claims service

Expert claim handlers to give you peace of mind

Direct Debit icon

Pay for your bar insurance by Direct Debit

You can choose to split your payment into 10 monthly instalments

About café insurance


Deterioration of food and drink cover

The cover protects frozen goods and fresh foods that became spoiled or damaged due to an insured peril, such as fire or flood, occurring. If the area in which your café is located becomes flooded and power supply is disrupted, your fridges and freezers may stop working and fresh produce you store could goes off. Our policies can provide cover for situations like this. This cover will also protect you in the unfortunate event that one of your employees accidentally switches the freezers / fridges off and stock in them deteriorates. Policy limits can be tailored by you, we offer two main types of cover, based on the value of stock or number of cooling units you have.


Public, product and employers' liability insurance for cafés

When you run a café, you need to ensure your customers and employees are protected. Public liability will help cover any legal defence fees and compensation awards should a customer allege injuries caused to them or their property due to fault by you or your staff. Products liability will protect you should a claim arise if from a customer suffering from injury or illness caused by the products you sold or prepared i.e. food poisoning. Employers liability is required by law if you employ any staff –full-time, part-time, temps or even volunteers. This covers legal defence costs and any court awards to staff following an accident in the café causing them personal injury or illness at work due to your negligence.


Business interruption cover for your café

Business interruption is a standard element of any café insurance package policy we offer. It is designed to cover those continuing café overheads you need to pay if your turnover reduces following an insured loss following damage due to fire, explosion, flood or storm. It covers your fixed costs, so should the worst happen and your business suffers during the rebuild and recovery period you will be able to continue paying rent, public utilities and wages etc. This cover could secure the future of your business in such an event, leaving you to focus on making your business a success.


Goods in transit cover

The majority of our policies come with a level of good in transit cover built in or as an option should you wish to protect your stock if it suffers accidental damage from your local trade warehouse or suppliers. If you’re interested in goods in transit cover, please mention this to our advisers when you make an enquiry.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 892 1384 and explain exactly what happened.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Purchase your policy
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Café insurance FAQs

Yes, the products liability cover will protect you if a customer alleges food poisoning as a result of some fault on your part in storing or preparing the food. Importantly you do need to meet your responsibilities under food and hygiene legislation.

Yes, we can factor in product liability cover for takeaway or food delivery services provided you tell us of these activities.

Yes, we can include this but you must inform us of any fat frying as there will be policy terms that apply regarding automatic thermostatic controls. please speak to one of our advisers as we will need to review whether we can provide cover.

If stock is stolen and property damaged due to a forced entry or exit to your café premises, you can be covered by our café insurance. Most policies contain a minimum level of security to be present and adhered to, including a requirement for suitable locks on the doors/windows.

Yes – during the day or after hours. Our policies can cover money both on the premises and on route to the bank.

Yes, our policy can provide cover to deterioration of stock stored in the fridge and freezer units on your business premises. Policy limits can be tailored according to your needs and café size (starting from up to £500 to £5,000 per claim) or to the number of units you have and the amounts of frozen stock is stored in each).

Please note cover is provided for electrical mechanical breakdown causing damage to your stock stored in fridges but not the actual fridge breakdown repair itself.

Yes, we can include legal expenses and jury service covers in your policy. Some providers offer them as standard, some as policy extensions. If you’d like to ensure they’re part of your insurance package, please let our advisers know. The limits we offer range from £25,000 to £500,000 on legal expenses and up to £5,000 on jury service.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Read more FAQs

Commercial property insurance articles and guides

Commercial Property: The Rebuild Cost

This article will look at calculating the rebuild cost of commercial property for homeowners and landlords looking for property insurance.

Read more

What is Commercial Landlord Insurance?

Find out exactly what commercial landlord insurance is and why it's vital cover for anyone renting out to a third-party business in our useful video.

Read more