Short-Term Landlord Insurance

Short-term cover for landlords who have just inherited or bought a property.

  • Building, contents, liability, loss of rent and legal cover
  • Access your quotes, policies and renewals in your online account
  • UK-based support

Call us on 0330 828 0633 or get a quote online

A shield with a tick inside it on a big translucent blue circle
Landlord and resident talking
If you need additional assistance arranging your insurance, find out how our teams can support

One of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers

Flexibility (1)

Easily compare quotes

From our panel of trusted brands

Trusted brand icon

Overall service rating 4.6 / 5

Based on 4350 customer reviews

Feefo Logo

Why choose short-term landlord insurance with Towergate?


Short-term landlord building insurance

Designed specifically for rental properties and covers damage to the structure of the building


Short-term landlord liability insurance

We can offer liability cover for short-term rentals, including for accidents to domestic employees, public liability and legal expenses.

Accidental Damage

Short-term landlord contents insurance

Protection against theft, fire and more for furnishings, appliances or other personal property you leave in the house for tenants to use 


Loss of rent insurance

Recover lost rental income if tenants have to move out, if the property becomes uninhabitable due to a covered event (like a fire or flood).

About short-term landlords insurance


Short-term landlord building and contents insurance

We can offer short-term landlord insurance cover for buildings, contents; damage to fixtures and fittings; alternative accommodation; and theft or attempted theft by tenants.


Other short-term landlord insurance covers

We can also offer 'trace and access' (covers the cost of finding the source of a water leak), and eviction of squatters cover.

Direct Debit

Cover for rental properties bought at auction

 can offer short-term insurance for rental properties bought at auction. If you buy a rental property at auction and intend to paint and decorate it before renting it out, short term landlord insurance as a bridge between the purchase and a full landlords insurance policy once the property is let.


Short-term insurance for a range of tenants

We can provide short-term landlord insurance to suit properties with a range of tenants and agreements, including multiple tenants / multiple tenant types; asylum seekers; council direct tenants; DSS benefits tenants; students; full and part-time working tenants; and multi-property portfolios.

When you need to make a claim, we'll guide you through the process and get your claim settled as quickly as possible.

  • Find your insurance documents and make sure you have all your information at hand, including your policy number.
  • Call the claims team on 0344 346 0307 to report the incident and explain exactly what happened. Our advisors will guide you through the claim process.
  • Provide photos if requested to help us understand what happened as quickly as we can.
Smiling women sitting on a rug on a parquet floor leaning on a sofa looking at her mobile

Ready to get covered?

  • Fill in our online quote form or call us
  • Select your insurer and price
  • Relax - You're covered!
Get a Quote

Short-term landlord insurance FAQs

There is nothing wrong with renting out your whole property out short term. You will need a short-term landlord insurance policy so that you are protected from tenant damages.

Before purchasing any short-term insurance, it's essential to carefully review the terms, conditions, and coverage limits of a temporary rental insurance. Discuss your specific situation with us to ensure you have adequate protection based on your rental activities.

Additionally, make sure to comply with any regulations related to property rentals, even if only a short term requirement, as these may also impact the insurance policy if you do not adhere to regulations.

Auctions can be a great place to find and buy a property. When you have finished bidding, and the hammer confirms the sale, the next step is to insure the property as you are now responsible.

Completion of the sale may still take a couple of weeks, but insuring your property straight away means that with buildings insurance in place, you will be covered for the risks that you have asked to be insured, such as fire, or even malicious damage.

We understand that this will be a difficult time, and so have flexible options for you.

Renting out a property, even on a short-term basis, comes with certain risks, and it's important to have the right insurance coverage to protect your inheritance and new investment. If you are looking to dip your feet in the rental market, then a six-month rental agreement may be a way to see if this is right for you. 

We can advise you on a six month policy, or the consequences of cancelling an agreed 12-month policy after six months. 

Unfortunately, not all landlord insurance policies will cover asylum seekers, and there may be a short period requirement in your local area. These potential refugees are people seeking asylum but their application has not yet been granted.

There are local requirements for these persons to be housed – on a temporary basis – and you may decided that you will rent a property out on this basis for a short time to cover the local need for housing. A short-term landlords insurance policy can give you the cover you require. Talk to us to confirm your exact requirements. 

It's also wise to check if the policy covers any legal expenses that may arise. Make sure to communicate openly with your insurance provider about your specific situation to ensure you have the right coverage for these circumstances.

To help you spread the cost of your premiums of short term rental landlord insurance, we offer a quick and easy direct debit scheme for spreading payment over ten months. Please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page to find out more.

If you would like to know more about our monthly payment option, please visit our dedicated Direct Debit page.

Read more FAQs

Landlord insurance articles and guides

A Landlord’s Guide to Paying Tax on Rental Income

This guide explains how to calculate your rental income and how to declare it to HMRC, with some helpful tax advice for landlords.

Read more

Character Reference Template for Landlords

As a landlord, you may sometimes have to provide past tenants with character references. Download our template letter and tips on what to write.

Read more

Costs of Being a Landlord

Whilst letting property can be a great way to make money there are still many costs associated with being a landlord.

Read more

Landlord Responsibilities

What responsibilities does a landlord have? Understand your duties as a landlord from health and safety to legal requirements.

Read more

The Cost of Being a UK Landlord

When renting out a property, repairs are inevitable. Whether caused by tenants, bad plumbing or intense weather conditions, as a landlord, you’re responsible for most of the repairs in your home. Over time, costs can start to add up rapidly, especially if you are letting multiple properties.

Read more

What Landlord’s Insurance Do I Need?

Not sure what landlord’s insurance you need?  Residential or commercial, mixed-use, or multiple premises we’ve got it covered.

Read more

Do I Need Landlords Insurance?

Learn the importance of landlords insurance and whether it's a must-have for your rental property investment.

Read more

Landlord Mould Responsibility: A Guide for Tenants and Landlords

Particularly during the colder and damper winter months, mould can be a real concern for both tenants and landlords in rented properties. Often caused by condensation, mould can be the result of maintenance issues or structural issues in the property, and can lead to health problems for residents.

Read more

What is Landlord Insurance?

Find out what landlord insurance is.

Read more

What Are The Fire Safety Regulations for Landlords?

Stay informed about the crucial fire safety regulations that landlords must adhere to, keeping your rental property secure.

Read more

Asbestos: Your Duties as a Landlord

As a landlord, you have a duty of care to your tenants to protect them from any harm that can be caused in your property - including asbestos.

Read more

How to Become a Landlord

Becoming a landlord is an exciting but daunting experience. There are lots of considerations to take into account before you let out a property. To assist you, we’ve pulled together a beginner’s guide on how to become a landlord.

Read more